Questions? Call Us Now
Non-Profit #: 94-3371317
Chicks in Crisis operates almost entirely on the goodwill of others.
Chicks In Crisis Educational Programs Project LIFT
Project LIFT (Living Independently for Tomorrow) is designed to provide a supportive learning environment where pregnant girls, women and young men can begin to eliminate barriers to self-sufficiency and employment. All of the workshops are interactive and participants have the opportunity to practice and refine their skills.
Project LIFT covers the following six main themes:
- Knowledge is Power – Through our Teen Mom Program, we provide an overview of the future of public assistance and how pending legislation affects participants. Participants identify, develop, and create a plan to meet school, employment, and personal goals as well as learn about various areas of support and local resources to create a personal resource book.
- Employment – Participants will learn how to conduct a successful job search and complete job applications. Participants receive assistance creating a resume, cover letter, and list of references. This class also discusses professional work habits and etiquette including how to dress professionally and appropriately for interviews and while working on the job. Participants also receive an opportunity to practice job interviewing through mock interviews. Other areas of discussion include choosing and paying for child care. The program also helps participants to identify individual barriers to self-sufficiency and employ-ability.
- Finance – Topics covered include how to open and manage a checking and savings account, how to create and maintain a budget, and the pros/cons of credit cards and fraud.
- Legal Issues – Participants will receive information on laws pertaining to pregnant girls and women’s rights and responsibilities and how to avoid involvement from Child Protective Services (CPS). Landlord and tenant issues are also covered including Fair Housing and locating free or low cost legal services. Laws pertaining to domestic violence are also discussed. These services on provided one on one based on individual needs of the student.
- Healthy Living – This class teaches the importance of medical/dental care, hygiene, and provides information on infant medical issues including Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), asthma, and the importance of immunization. A wide range of sexuality issues are also discussed. Students can participate in workshops that cover basic cooking skills, menu planning, creating shopping lists, and feeding your family on a budget. Lastly, participants receive information on various family support resources including Healthy Families, WIC (the special supplemental nutrition program for Women, Infants, and Children), Parents Anonymous, and WEAVE.
- Child Development – This class provides an overview of child development and identifies what is and isn’t age appropriate behavior and milestones. Participants also learn how to develop a healthy relationship with children’s fathers to support effective parenting.
© Copyright 2017 Chicks in Crisis, All Rights Reserved.
Non-profit 501(C)3 Organization #94-3371317